[fedora-arm] Fedora 17 and Fedora 18 both hang on Dreamplug

Niels de Vos devos at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 4 10:59:52 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Eric Floehr <eric at intellovations.com> wrote:
> Scott, Neils,
>
>> Yeah, my understanding is as well that the orion_nand module is
>> causing these troubles. I do not know if the DreamPlug has a NAND or
>> not, but loading the module is surely optional.
>>
>> You can try to do the following steps:
>> 1. add the following "kernel" parameter (it's actually dracut acting
>> on it): rd.driver.blacklist=orion_nand
>> 2. create a file in /etc/modprobe.d/disable-orion_nand.conf with the
>> contents "blacklist orion_nand"
>>
>> This should prevent the orion_nand module from getting loaded and
>> hopefully your DreamPlugs boot a little further.
>

> Blacklisting orion_nand did the trick, thanks! Here is the link to the full
> boot. There were a few FAILED's but the system boots and gets me to a
> prompt, which is great:
>
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/322193/dreamplug/fedora-18-attempt-2.txt
>
> I guess the question is now, why does the nand module get loaded, and is
> there a way to have it not, so that others with dreamplugs can have a
> seamless boot experience?

The orion_nand module gets automatically loaded on platforms that
require it. The module (check with modinfo) has a module-alias
"platform:orion_nand". Now, there are some calls to
kirkwood_nand_init() in board-setup files under
arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/. You could try to figure out which file is
used by the DreamPlug and have it not call kirkwood_nand_init() for
the DreamPlug.

At least, that's what I would try first. Good luck!