[fedora-arm] How to increase contributions from new members of the SIG?

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 3 18:14:02 UTC 2013

I'm sorry if this has been discussed in the last couple of meetings,
as I wasn't able to make them (and haven't yet seen the logs of
yesterday's meeting).  To make a long story short, I'm looking for
feedback on ways that we can make sure the Fedora ARM team continues
to grow and scale and be productive as we inch closer to being a
Primary Architecture in Fedora.

Let me use my own experience as an example here.  I've been part of
the ARM SIG since almost the beginning -- I've been in many (if not
most) of the weekly meetings, I have two ARM devices up and running on
my workbench, and I like to pretend I know at least enough to be
dangerous.  I try to follow the deep dark issues the core technical
group is working on, but don't always understand what they're talking
about.  My question is this -- what can mere mortals like myself do
(from either a technical or non-technical) standpoint to help keep
things moving forward.  There was a time when I was able to spend a
bit of time every day helping out with pushing builds in koji and
trying to track down packages that won't build correctly -- is that
still needed?

Are there "janitor level" tasks that folks can start on to get their
feet wet and start contributing?  Is there specific documentation that
needs to be written?  Tools that need to be tested?  Scripts that need
to be written?

I'm willing (as always) to put my time where my mouth is and help out
-- please help guide me (and others in the group) in what you'd like
us to do!

--
Jared Smith