[fedora-arm] F21 disk image idea

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Fri Jan 10 19:34:49 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 01/10/2014 05:35 PM, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> On 01/09/2014 07:41 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Without intending any disrespect I don't think that you are the
>> typical user we want to optimize this for. More and more novice
>> users are starting to play around with arm boards (which will hopefully
>> make them non novices eventually) and I think we want to make things
>> as easy for them as possible. And these users are already used
>> to blindly trusting installers :)
>
> I'm not a typical user either, but I share Richard's concern.  Your script as described is great.  If there were these 3 features I'd be completely happy with it as one solution to the problem:
>
> 1. It can be run as a non-root user (fun!).

I can easily at a policykit wrapper for this. I guess I should also add some
more checks to make sure it is running from a mountpoint of the actual sdcard
image and not from some random location before resolving said mountpoint
to a blockdevice to dd the u-boot to (in case of sunxi atleast). With those
checks in place this should actually be pretty safe.

> 2. It can be run as a single command line (no interactive menu).

This can already be done with the current version of the script :)

> 3. It can produce an image to be written to disk (it does not make changes to block devices in /dev).

This is not something I'm interested in, but patches welcome.

Regards,

Hans