[fedora-arm] Fedora 23 for aarch64 is here!

Clive Messer clive.m.messer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 05:13:58 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-11-03 at 17:38 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Fedora 23 for aarch64 released

At the risk of incurring your wrath......

If I understand this correctly, the two "supported" platforms are....

a) AMD Seattle 1100
b) Applied Micro X-Gene

Now, please correct me if I am wrong, (it's been a while since I
looked), but ISTR that the AMD dev kit costs $3000 and the X-Gene, a
mere, $2500.

I understand why RedHat might want to target those "business" class
solutions, but surely the 64 bit hardware that Fedora, (Fedora distro,
not RedHat disto), needs to be targeting with "official" out-of-the-box
support are the 96Boards, ie. HiKey and Dragonboard.... Hardware that
is actually accessible to "ordinary" people to tinker with, at $100 a
pop!

Every single person I have spoken to in the last few months, and by
that I mean ordinary users on ordinary salaries, (not people getting
given expensive hardware for free, or earning high-end salaries that
can afford to buy $2500 boards), who are starting to look at 64 bit ARM
hardware are buying one of the two 96Boards solutions, not the $$$$$$$
"business class" development kits.

I am just stating this as an observation. I have no axe to grind or
financial interest in any of the above.

Regards

Clive
--