[Fedora-Bangladesh] backing up software installed in fedora 13

Angel rahmanangel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 20:03:47 UTC 2010

Just follow me.

1. Collect the packages together in one directory. You can make as
many sub-directories as you want, but there needs to be a top level
directory where they all live. That's where we're going to form our
repository.

2. Yum uses a digest of the information stored in each RPM to do its
work. This information is created using the 'createrepo' program. If
you don't have createrepo installed you can install it with:

yum install createrepo

Once you have createrepo installed you need to run it. It only
requires one argument which is the directory in which you would like
to generate the repository data. So if the packages directory we made
in step 1 is in /srv/my/repo then you would run:

createrepo /srv/my/repo

You should see a lot of things fly by but it should finish without an
error. In the end you should have a directory named
/srv/my/repo/repodata with at least 4 files in it. Maybe more.

3. To make this repository known to yum you need to add a .repo file
to your yum configuration. On the systems where you want to use this
repo you need to make a new file in /etc/yum.repos.d/. The file can be
named anything but the extension on the file has to be .repo. Let's
call this one 'myrepo.repo'.

In the file you just need to include the following:

[myrepo]
name = This is my repo
baseurl = file:///srv/my/repo/

That's all you need in that file. The 'baseurl' line is the path that
machine uses to get to the repository.

NB: there are 3 slashes (/) following the file:, not 2. That is correct.

4. Now in /etc/yum.repos.d/ directory open fedora.repo and
fedora-updates.repo file, check, both files has a line ¨enabled=1¨,
change it to 0, it will be enabled=0. Now save both files.

5. Now u can install/update all your downloaded packages offline.

--
Angel
0DF8 3CD4 AFE3 68C6 2CDA 9F17 14B8 1A15 E5F7 73C2

Fedora -- Freedom² and rapid innovation