Empowering Fedora sub-communities

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Tue Apr 1 23:54:30 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 05:13:49PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> The second problem I see is with the standard thorn.. trademarks. In the
> case of Kubuntu I think they have some sort of permission in order to
> clarify any "Confusion in the Markspace" and they use different colours and
> themes to differentiate themselves from the main brand. I think that will
> need to be dealt with somehow immediately so that these communities have a
> 'secure' footing to stand on without having to worry about TM problems.
>
> If a group wants to create Xedora which focuses on desktops that are not 3D
> based.. what will be needed to get it done? What kinds of trademark
> permissions are needed?

I'd expect trademark rules to be fairly similar to the current policy
regarding third parties - the board (or some delegated body) should be
able to provide grants of permission assuming certain usage limitations
(eg, identifiably related to but different from other uses of the
trademarks, not attached to non-free works, that kind of thing). But
that's a good point and one that would need to be hammered out
appropriately.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org