Empowering Fedora sub-communities

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Apr 2 03:32:12 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 02:59:19AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> How about we stop trying to turn Fedora into Ubuntu until we have
> replaced our Red Hat overlord with one called Canonical and decouple
> Red Hat's personal interest designing and defining it's RHEL 8 with
> it's .next and wg vision from the project and just force it to drive
> this vision internally or release those products under the CentOS
> brand as technology previews for upcoming Red Hat releases because
> the fact is this vision of theirs is being design and driven
> entirely wrong from the ground up and will never work as they are in
> a community driven distribution anyway.

You know I don't work for Red Hat, right? You know my history with
Canonical? You're aware that I'm fairly vocal about any organisation or
company that acts in a way that I feel is contrary to the benefits of
the overall community?

I am in favour of the .next work because I feel that it benefits Fedora.
I believe that it has the potential to enhance the community. I am aware
of cases where it could make active community members feel under
appreciated, and so *I am trying to find ways of dealing with that*
because even though I have a strong technical preference for certain
solutions I am also aware that this is an area where rational people can
disagree and no matter how much I might feel that the existing product
strategy strengthens Fedora I don't want to force people to choose
between Fedora and their preferred desktop.

You can disagree with our direction. You are able to make alternative
proposals. You even have the option of standing for election to the
bodies that make these decisions. Yet, instead, you repeatedly make
snide comments from the sidelines, accuse people of being corporate
shills and claim that there's an ongoing conspiracy to destroy the
Fedora community.

If you dislike what Fedora is becoming then do something about it. But
do it in a constructive way rather than this horrifically pointless
bullshit. You've done nothing to demonstrate that the rest of the
community agrees with you and you're doing nothing to make anyone listen
to you. Be part of our process or be quiet.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org