What is the difference among those tags in koji?

Mike McLean mikem at redhat.com
Tue Jun 28 23:39:11 UTC 2011

On 06/24/2011 10:04 PM, yanchuan wrote:
> What is the difference among thos tags in the buildsystem web of Fedora
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji?
> There are 13 tags for Fedora 15,and I'm confused with the relationship among
> those tags.I know dist-f15-updates
> is inherited from dist-f15,and dist-f15-override is inherited from
> dist-f15-updates.

This is specific to Fedora's tag setup. Other folks know more about that
than I, but I don't see a reply yet so...

dist-f15 is where the builds for the gold release of Fedora 15 live. Now
that F15 is released, this tag should not change.

dist-f15-updates is where updates for F15 go. Builds are tagged here as
part of the update process.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_update_HOWTO

dist-f15-override is used to hold builds that need to be in the
buildroot for dependency reasons, but are otherwise there. Normally this
happens when you have two interdependent updates. These get built in
dist-f15-updates-candidate which does /not/ feed into the buildroot.
Such buildroot overrides are managed by Bodhi
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bodhi/BuildRootOverrides

 > I what to know which package should
 > goes to dist-f15-updates?

When the build is part of an update that goes live

 > In what situation, a package should goes to
 > dist-f15-override but not dist-f15-updates?

When the build is needed in the buildroot but is not yet released.
Normally such a build would eventually get into the -update tag, but it
is possible that the update will fail testing and not be released, in
which case (I presume) Bodhi would eventually remove it from the
-override tag.