RFC : Re-structuring Campus-Am team

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue May 1 04:40:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Buddhike Kurera
<bckurera at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 9:38 AM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Buddhike Kurera
>>> This is just an idea and you can grow it. Please support with your
>>> ideas and thoughts.
>>>
>>> However I am worrying whether the name of the team is confusing.
>>>
>>> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bckurera/Fedora_Campus_Ambaasador
>>
>> I'm not really clear on what you want to change and why. The current
>> charter I think is quite nice.
>
> Thanks John, I really agree with you, we need more contribution from students.
>
> The current Campus Am. program is only for FAm but not for students,
> limited to FAms[1][2]. If it is possible to widen the range, like anyone
> who is interested in promoting Fedora by spreading the word (organizing
> events etc.) can join the team, it would be better. Not each and every
> interested students towards FAm will not get the chance. This group[3]
> will be the place for them to hang-on. Not dedicated as FAms but promote
> Fedora when there is time and opportunity.

I see, the rules were at some point changed. When this program began
it was not for ambassadors, but rather for students to get involved
with the help, guidance, and support of ambassadors.

> Campus FAm is an inactive group at the moment[4]. So why dont we
> re-structure it and give some life to it. If campus Am is not the right place,
> we can have a separate team. The idea behind is the important, i believe.

I think the focus being on involving students is the better, more
productive focus. But we come back to the problem it always had which
is getting students involved. I really support the idea here, so I'm
all for trying something new to make it work. I do think the
fundamental problem is reaching the students to get them involved.

John