Cloud projects inside of RedHat

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Thu Dec 16 16:06:30 UTC 2010

On 12/16/2010 06:37 PM, Chris Lalancette wrote:

>> Ok, I spoke a little too early. I think this worked.
>>>
>>> hm, I tried this, and re-ran oz-install, as of now, it is on it's way to getting timed out..
>>
>> And it actually didn't time out :) It did seem to install after a
>> few mins (attached is my  sanitized oz-output).
>>
>> Now, I tried a virt-viewer<new-f14-JOES>  . I see a blank screen. So
>> tried to access a 'virtual terminal', I didn't get any. Am I
>> supposed to get any?
>>
>> so I tried to run `arp` :
>> ================
>> [kashyap at foobar ~]$ arp -an
>> ? (10.x.y.z) at 00:16:36:07:bc:7d [ether] on eth0
>> ? (192.168.122.203) at<incomplete>  on virbr0
>> kashyap at foobar ~]
>> ================
>> so what can I do next ? Shutdown the guest and mount it's file
>> system with `guestfish` tool and make some changes?
>
> Yep, that looks like it worked.  I'm pretty sure that the
> "net-destroy ; net-start" virsh commands are what fixed it; you were missing
> the MASQUERADE rules in the iptables NAT table to allow guests to get out
> via the virbr0 interface.

Ok, noted.

> Now that you've gotten by that, you should have an installed OS.  At the end
> of the install, oz actually shuts down the machine.  At this point you have a
> raw VM diskimage, so you should be able to do whatever it is you usually do
> with a VM diskimage:
>
> 1)  Use guestfish to modify it
> 2)  Use virsh to start it in and login
>
> etc.
>
> I will note that I have had some problems in particular with an F-14 guest
> and a blank screen.  I'm not sure exactly whether the problem I'm seeing is on
> the host or guest, and I haven't yet had time to track it down.

So I'm not the only one. Later I'll try with slightly older Fedora releases & RHEL

   If you are
> seeing an entry in the ARP cache, you may be able to ssh into the machine.

hm, I tried to get into single user mode in verbose to see the boot messages on this F14,
I couldn't get the prompt, and this is where it seem to have got stuck:
.
.
Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = -130073031 ns)
Not sure if this makes any sense at this point. Will see if I can dig more some time.
Thank you.

/kashyap