Converting the default instance store Fedora 14 to EBS

Jan Pazdziora jpazdziora at redhat.com
Wed Nov 3 14:36:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 08:16:03AM -0500, Justin M. Forbes wrote:

> They are, and they should be working.  If I had to guess, I would say you
> are trying to log in as root?  You cannot do that.  Log in as ec2-user and
> you have full sudo access.  This goes with the Amazon documentation as
> well.  The full list of official images is being maintained at:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud_SIG/EC2_Images
>
> Unfortunately it takes a bit of time for Amazon to make the public image
> links available, which will give us a bit more visibility as well.

I got the ami-e291668b running.

As the EBS AMIs are not yet available, I'd like to convert this
instance to EBS backed instance, following roughly the steps in
http://gnuyoga.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/ec2-instance-store-to-ebs-boot/

However, when I try to attach the newly created volume to my instance
I either get

	Client.InvalidParameterValue: Value (/dev/xvdd) for parameter device is invalid. /dev/xvdd is not a valid EBS device name.

when I try to use some /dev/xvd* device name, or I use -d /dev/sda
and the ec2-attach-volume finishes fine but the device /dev/sda does
not come to life.

Any suggestion about the device attaching (or about the conversion to
EBS in general)?

--
Jan Pazdziora