P2P Packaging/Koji Cloud

Florian La Roche Florian.LaRoche at gmx.net
Wed Dec 21 23:16:31 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 11:59:08PM +0100, Denis Arnaud wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 12:33:38 -0500
> > From: seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org>
> >
> > I answered Denis immediately at the first post and he concurred it was
> > a problem. I like to think the conversation evolved as we discussed.
> >

> Yes, the conversation has shifted... Indeed, I mixed two distinct ideas:
> 1. One corresponding to an actual use case: using a private/trusted cloud
> service to do scratch, chain or even massive builds.

Doing a generic "koji.example.com" image would allow anyone to start rpm builds
and probably many could use this who now object to the many config steps that
koji requires. I am often setting up koji within different environments to
rebuild a few rpms, but haven't setup such a generic image yet.

On mass rebuilds: A complete RHEL5 rebuild on a moderate home server with
i5 2500, 12GB RAM and a SSD needs about 1,5 days only. So using a single
image and a real big server image already gives quite a good throughput.

> 2. Another one corresponding to a dream, really: a P2P cloud, just because
> it sounds exciting, and would certainly be a USP (unique selling point) for
> Fedora.
>
> >From the answers, it seems that both ideas ring a bell. And, of course, the
> dream does not seem doable, mainly for security reason. Or it could be
> implemented as a proof-of-concept of all the technologies and skills, which
> Fedora gathers under its umbrella?
>
> Nevertheless, for now, I am really interested by the item #1 above. For the
> #2, we never know. Maybe a GSoC, or something like that, could make it
> happen...

One item that could need a fix in koji:
koji build clients sometimes hang if they get re-assigned a new IP.

best regards,

Florian La Roche