F17 on AWS EC2

Max Spevack mspevack at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 22 00:42:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Robyn Bergeron wrote:

> * Can someone more technical than me (that would be most readers of
> this list, teehee) give a slightly better explanation or etc. as to
> what might be going on here for Joe?

Someone even more technical is probably going to have to shore this up
behind me... but I'll give it a shot.

It has something to do with the interplacy between grub and grub2.
Fedora 16 introduced grub2, which was great everywhere except for EC2,
because (and now I'm hand waving) PV-GRUB (which EC2 uses) and grub2
don't (or at the time of F16's release didn't) get along well.

The instructions you are following simply won't work, and show the need
for an "Upgrading Fedora in EC2" doc.  Though the truth is that
especially because Fedora images in EC2 are all EBS-backed, you should
be able to just launch a F17 image (when it exists), attach your
snapshot, and be off and running.  Part of the EC2 mentality is that you
just spin up a new instance when you need it, and you separate Important
Data from OS Guts as much as possible.

Anyway, you could try to modify the instructions to use
/boot/grub/grub.conf -- and figure out why /boot/grub/grub.conf and
/boot/grub/menu.lst are different files -- I thought that one was
usually a symlink to the other.

Alternatively, you could bug the Release Engineering team and ask them
if F17 Alpha images are going to be released on the F17 Alpha release
date of Feb 28. -- http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/17/Schedule

And now is when someone like gholms comes into the thread and tells me
everything that is wrong here, and makes it all make sense.  :)

--Max