Persistent URLs for Fedora Cloud images

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 12 03:56:59 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 11:01:28PM -0400, Adam Young wrote:
> Could we get some sort of organization and browsing around these?
> RIght now, they are "magic URLS" that will likely disappear.  Much
> better if we had them under /images and we could enumerate the list.

Why are they likely to disappear? Why would making the path longer make them
less likely to disappear?

> Can we put them in
> http://cloud.fedoraproject.org/images/
> And make that directory listable, even if they are going to be
> ephemeral?  That way, we can go back there and check to see what is
> current.
> Or am I missing something?

Well, something -- there is no directory. This is a webserver list redirect to

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?path=pub/fedora/linux/releases/19/Images/x86_64/Fedora-x86_64-19-20130627-sda.qcow2&redirect=1

We could make a fake directory and populate it with dummy files, but I'm not
seeing much value in that.

If the idea is for a human-readable list, that's best found at
http://get.fedoraproject.org/, under the cloud section (which I hope to make
more prominent for F20.

If you're looking for something meant for machine consuption, that's in the
works -- we're planning to start publishing a list in json format (probably
in the simplestreams json format a la Ubuntu).
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FirstClassCloudImages/KojiPlan

But if you just want a short link which I promise will keep working, that's
these.