how to enable direct root login without changing the image

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 13 18:12:34 UTC 2013

> We also should strongly document (release notes and on get fedora page) that
> userdata can be used to change the default, and I've long had a

And, FTR, that is:

Put this in the user-data script in EC2 or Openstack

#cloud-config
disable_root: 0

The first line is identifying the userdata type, not a comment.

The above will put the ssh key in both the root account and in the default
user account (whatever it is named).

If you also want to suppress the creation of the default non-root account,
add a line that just says "users:". Like this:

#cloud-config
users:
disable_root: 0