putting together the growpart pieces

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 8 12:59:52 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 10:59:55AM +0100, Juerg Haefliger wrote:
> For F18 you need:
> - cloud-utils for the growpart script

I notice that this pulls in quite a few other things. For the current cloud
image, it adds

   ceph-libs
   cryptopp
   euca2ools
   gdisk
   libaio
   libicu
   libseccomp
   m2crypto
   python-crypto
   python-paramiko
   qemu-img

Could we subpackage the growroot script? (It's kind of random that it's in
_this_ package instead of cloud-init itself, isn't it? Maybe upstream would
consider moving it?)

> - dracut-modules-growroot to do the
> root-partition-resizing-in-the-initramfs magic
> - cloud-init to resize the root filesystem
> cloud-init itself supports growroot as of a few days ago
> (http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~cloud-init-dev/cloud-init/trunk/revision/790)
> but that requires a 3.8 kernel (and probably some userspace tools as
> well) that can reload a partition table of a device that's in use. In
> this case, dracut-modules-growroot is not required anymore, i.e., both
> the partition and filesystem resizing will be done *after* the
> initramfs stage.

Hmmmm. We actually _have_ the 3.8 kernel in F18 now. Are the userspace tools
required different from above?