GCE - cloud init, or google-daemon/google-startup-scripts

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 13 17:55:39 UTC 2013

The documentation for building an image for Google Compute Engine (GCE):

  https://developers.google.com/compute/docs/building-image

Most of this is very similar to our existing cloud images. A few of the
changes we could integrate across the board. Some will need testing
(hostname setting?), but I don't see anything exotic.

Debian is carrying a patch for cloud-init provided by Google
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=725384, and we could do the
same instead of integrating google-daemon and google-startup-scripts. I
assume this will get upstream at some point (there is some discussion of
that in the Debian bug).

I don't _absolutely_ love cloud-init, but it's well-understood and common,
and fits with our existing images, making it easier to document how to do
things with our image, and etc.

What do we think?