The cloud images should log more on the serial console

Attila Fazekas afazekas at redhat.com
Thu Nov 21 08:30:13 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have noticed two nits related to the console logging of the cloud images,
and on other related to the cfn-tools.

- When I boot up the f20 cloud image in openstack the log messages from the cloud-init
  is printed to the vnc console, but not visible on the serial console.
  It also messes up the login prompt on the vnc console.

  In this case the serial console logging is more practical in my opinion.

  For example If you need to troubleshoot metadata passing+login issues,
  parsing the serial console output is easier than OCR-ing on the vnc/spcie console.

- The kick-start should log the %post related issues to the serial console,
  a macro argument like --log=/dev/console might be helpful,
  especially if you build the images inside openstack.

- AFAIK the /usr/bin/cfn-create-aws-symlinks should be called
  as part of the image build process in order to create the symbolic links
  in the /opt/aws/bin/.

Best Regards,
Attila

PS.: Now the rootfs is resize is working :)
I will try to run devstack on the f20 images soon.