The cloud images should log more on the serial console

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Thu Nov 21 08:49:37 UTC 2013

On 11/21/2013 09:30 AM, Attila Fazekas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have noticed two nits related to the console logging of the cloud images,
> and on other related to the cfn-tools.
>
> - When I boot up the f20 cloud image in openstack the log messages from the cloud-init
>   is printed to the vnc console, but not visible on the serial console.
>   It also messes up the login prompt on the vnc console.
>
>   In this case the serial console logging is more practical in my opinion.
>
>   For example If you need to troubleshoot metadata passing+login issues,
>   parsing the serial console output is easier than OCR-ing on the vnc/spcie console.

Yeah.

This was previously brought this up on this list, but we couldn't bring to a proper
logical conclusion :(

  https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/cloud/2013-April/002371.html

As of now,a /second/ console device (ttyS1) needs to be created, configure something to
run on this new console --
http://kashyapc.fedorapeople.org/virt/openstack/serial-console-test.txt

> - The kick-start should log the %post related issues to the serial console,
>   a macro argument like --log=/dev/console might be helpful,
>   especially if you build the images inside openstack.
>

> - AFAIK the /usr/bin/cfn-create-aws-symlinks should be called
>   as part of the image build process in order to create the symbolic links
>   in the /opt/aws/bin/.
>
> Best Regards,
> Attila
>
> PS.: Now the rootfs is resize is working :)
> I will try to run devstack on the f20 images soon.

/kashyap