please help test beta test candidate cloud images

Sandro "red" Mathys red at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 17 19:26:37 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Garrett Holmstrom
<gholms at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On 2013-10-17 9:15, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 11:09:39AM -0500, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
>>> 1) You get a complaint that delta RPM isn't enabled when installing
>>> packages. Not a major problem, but talking to Matthew we wondered
>>> whether we should include delta RPM by default or suppress the warning.
>>
>> In the past, I've found deltarpm to actually be slower when bandwidth is
>> plentiful. The package itself is small, so I'll do some tests here.
>
> When I did some testing around this on F17 I found that deltarpm not
> only increased update time by a non-trivial amount, but also generated
> extra I/O.  It would be interesting to see how it behaves nowadays.
>
>>> 2) Firewall on by default is not a good thing. It took me a minute to
>>> realize *why* I couldn't hit the default Apache page after I'd fixed the
>>
>> Yes, as mentioned, this is a frequent complaint. In the past the majority
>> opinion was that a basic packet filter was the best choice, but given the
>> constant feedback I get to the contrary, I'm.... inclined to revisit.

Crazy idea: disable the Firewall by default but allow users to enable
it through cloud-init (i.e. user-data)? Just in case there are people
who prefer the instance's firewall over security groups and open the
latter up a lot / completely. Probably a stupid thought, but I thought
I'd share it for the lulz.