First cut - Cloud PRD outline

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Wed Oct 30 16:16:06 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 09:19:30AM -0400, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I took an initial cut at the framework/outline for a PRD, and started
> filling in... some bits of it, mostly in an "example" type format so
> people can get an idea of context, other parts in a more "this is a
> description of what should be here," etc.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud_PRD

Thanks for doing that. I'm taking a crack at a few of the sections. I'm
assuming since it's a wiki we'd rather just have a go there rather than
hashing out all the specifics on the list?

> * Validate that this is even remotely on the right track - I wanted
> basic framework but... at some point release early/often kicks in.

Yeah, I think this is on the right track.

> * There are likely a lot of cases for overlap with the other working
> groups. I would still prefer to list them out explicitly, just so
> we can track / ensure that any dependencies are being coordinated /
> worked through (with our help, or not, or whatever) with the other teams,
> and also so people don't come along and say "OMG YOU FORGOT XYZ" and we
> don't have to explain that we already thought through this and decided
> it would be best passed on to another team.

I think that the IaaS environments section falls in the "overlap" if not
outright "belongs in other group" category.

> If you know people who are explicitly avoiding Fedora like the plague
> for cloud usage, ask them why.  This is the kind of stuff that helps us
> ensure that we are not just talking to ourselves, more or less ;)

Indeed. So, as I've gotten approval to attend AWS re:Invent, I'm going
to be spending some time asking these questions. Well, not "why are you
avoiding Fedora like the plague" but "what do you want out of a cloud
image, and how can we get there?"

I'm also a believer in "skate where the puck is going," so we should be
asking not only "why aren't you using it today?" but "what gaps are
there in what you are using today?"

> maybe we can take a snapshot of it at some point soon and save that as the
> template.  In any case: I'd like to make sure that we make sure that this
> is an effective way to format a PRD that will allow us to produce useful
> results before we go filling it all in, so that we don't wind up making a
> bunch of folks all sadfaced that they spent a bunch of time writing stuff
> before we decided that this sucks and we should do it some other way. :)

Ah, well, we'll always have:

https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Cloud_PRD&direction=prev&oldid=358261

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier | Principal Cloud & Storage Analyst