First cut - Cloud PRD outline

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 30 17:01:18 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:16:06AM -0500, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> Thanks for doing that. I'm taking a crack at a few of the sections. I'm
> assuming since it's a wiki we'd rather just have a go there rather than
> hashing out all the specifics on the list?

Wikis are good at many things, but discussion isn't one of them. I'd say
you're adding to blank areas, or just making wording changes, go for it, but
if there's any bigger changes at least summarize them here. From the rest of
your message I think that's what you're actually doing. :)

> > * There are likely a lot of cases for overlap with the other working
> > groups. I would still prefer to list them out explicitly, just so
[...]
> I think that the IaaS environments section falls in the "overlap" if not
> outright "belongs in other group" category.

There's two parts to this. One is use case as part of an iaas platform
(eg openstack note), and for that I agree that it's at least potentially in
the overlap section. The second is "environments that guest image will run
in", though, and that's not overlap.

> Indeed. So, as I've gotten approval to attend AWS re:Invent, I'm going
> to be spending some time asking these questions. Well, not "why are you
> avoiding Fedora like the plague" but "what do you want out of a cloud
> image, and how can we get there?"

I did exactly this last year at re:Invent. The consistent answer I got was
"Oh, I don't really care. That layer is boring."

Other answers I get routinely are:

 1. Doesn't provide any help with what I need -- my language stack with
    the version I want.
 2. Lifecycle too short (not per instance, but want to deploy to consistent
    target)
 3. Every else is using the other thing, so it's easier
 4. Snowball effects of #3: documentation, QA, tools

Not necessarily in that order.

> I'm also a believer in "skate where the puck is going," so we should be
> asking not only "why aren't you using it today?" but "what gaps are
> there in what you are using today?"

So this is why I'm interested in SCLs, or anything which does what SCLs
promise better -- the item #1 above isn't well-covered by _anyone_.