Future directions for Fedora Cloud

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Sep 16 20:57:43 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-09-11 at 12:01 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:

> So, idea one is to make something like CoreOS (http://coreos.com/): a
> lightweight distribution made for running containers on top of. We wouldn't
> attempt to be _as_ lightweight as CoreOS (for that, there's CoreOS), but aim
> to be small while still providing key features like SELinux.

How SELinux would work in a coreos/container deployment setup is an
interesting question.  One could imagine docker containers coming with
policy modules, but that ends up tying them to a specific host version,
which is kind of against the point of containers.

More realistically I think one would have a relatively permissive domain
(generic_container_t), and use something like MCS labels to restrict the
flow of information between containers and the host.

> Perhaps this
> could be built with Colin Walter's OSTree (see
> https://wiki.gnome.org/OSTree) for atomic updates.

To follow up on this, I have been working slowly on this tool called
"yum-ostree" which is designed to capture packages as OSTree commits.
At the moment it's just a lame python script, but it's nearly to the
point of being useful.  I'll post to the generic fedora-devel-list when
it's ready.

As far as OSTree compared to CoreOS; the biggest difference is that the
CoreOS updater mandates a particular filesystem chosen on the build
server, because it sends block-level diffs.  OSTree operates at the
filesystem layer (like rsync), and this allows more flexibility.  (At
the moment though, OSTree is significantly less efficient on the network
side).