F20 Kernel recompile for Google Cloud

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 14 12:33:54 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 9:30 PM, Michael Hall <mike at mjhall.org> wrote:
> Thanks Truong, I am using that page.
> What I would like to know is how much I can safely disable in the kernel.
> Does anyone have a list of what most VM images don't need?
> For example, it seems that most hardware support can go, and most filesystem
> support that isn't needed.
> I would like to build a s small a kernel as possible that will still
> function securely.

Your question is timely.  The Fedora kernel team has been told that
the Cloud people would like a smaller kernel package, but nobody has
actually come forward with what that means.  So I'm interested in
seeing what the Cloud experts reply with, because we're already doing
work on the kernel to split it up to make it smaller.  The mechanics
of that are somewhat simple, but the content is the part we're
blocking on.

(NOTE: This is for Fedora.next, not F20 so whatever you're doing is
likely unaffected.)

josh