Cloud image/ kernel/OVS followup

Collins, Robert (Converged Cloud) rbtcollins at hp.com
Wed Jan 22 19:54:00 UTC 2014

> > Note that for Fedora based deploys we *start* with a fedora cloud image, so
> > if it's not possible to install ovs and physical hardware drivers into those
> > images, it won't be possible to deploy OpenStack using TripleO w/Fedora.

> When you say "for Fedora based deploys we start with a fedora cloud image" - this is *just* for the TripleO case, or is this for a "regular" (SingleO, hah) deploy as well?

> Sorry if I'm being confusing (or if I'm just confused) :) I just know there are plenty of projects out there who are developing new tech rather rapidly and not everyone in the cloud SIG is intimately involved in all of them. Until we get clones. Working on that. :) But "additional feedback" never hurts.

> Thanks!

So, there are lots of ways to deploy OpenStack :). Folk that build golden images of their hypervisor/control plane/network nodes etc with diskimage-builder will be starting from $DISTRO cloud images. Folk that use packstack or RDO or crowbar or MAAS or whatever will have whatever that deployment toolchain uses to get the OS on the metal.

The only unique thing about TripleO is that rather than use a different toolchain to manage the baremetal, we went all-in on using the OpenStack native facilities for that. (Thus OpenStack on OpenStack).

-Rob

Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist
HP Converged Cloud