Fedora @ Google Cloud

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Sat Jun 14 10:01:50 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 10:47:09PM -0500, Renich Bon Ciric wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm, currently, working on a Fedora image for Google Cloud; just for
> fun.
>
> I'm using virt-builder.

Yes, this is quite a useful tool. FWIW, that's what I use in most of my
Fedora virtual test environments.

Additionally, there are a couple of different ways to create Fresh Fedora
installs using like `Oz` or `virt-install` to install fresh Fedora.

e.g. I use a trivial script like this[1] to create fresh Fedora installs
sometimes. You can modify Kickstart or other attributes trivially. To
create a Fedora 20 VM called f20vm1, with 10G disk and 2G memory:

    $ ./create-guest-qcow2.bash f20vm1 f20 x86_64

If you want to use something like `Oz`, you can try it this way:

1. Create a TDL file:

-----
$ cat << EOF > f20vm.tdl
<template>
<name>f20vm</name>
<os>
<name>Fedora</name>
<version>20</version>
<arch>x86_64</arch>
<install type='url'>
<url>http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/20/Fedora/x86_64/os/</url>
</install>
<rootpw>fedora</rootpw>
</os>
<description>Fedora 20</description>
</template>
EOF
-----

2. Invoke `Oz` (with debug output):

    $ oz-install -d 4 f20vm.tdl

3. Define the libvirt XML file (spit out from step-2), and start the guest:

    $ virsh define XMLfile
    $ virsh start f20vm --console

  [1] https://github.com/kashyapc/virt-scripts/blob/master/create-guest-qcow2.bash

Hope that helps.