Packaging Google-Daemon

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at google.com
Tue Jun 24 04:39:32 UTC 2014

Hi Renich,

How is your progress so far?

One other useful set of tools to include in the image is "gcutil",
"gsutil" and "gcloud".

https://developers.google.com/compute/docs/images#stronglyrecommendedpackages

I think packaging those might be tricky. I just checked the centos-6
image and they're clearly simply untarring it under
/usr/local/share/google/google-cloud-sdk and creating symlinks under
/usr/local/bin to make them available in the search path. Clearly not
ideal, I think we can do better than that.

Do you know if it would be possible to build an official GCE image
through the official build system? I mean, spin it through Koji, using
imagefactory, Oz and including the google-compute-daemon package you
built and possibly other packages for the cloud SDK as well?

Long term, I agree the way to go is towards a unified image using
cloud-init, but having a proof of concept that could serve as an
official image right away would be tremendously helpful...

Let me know how I can help!

Cheers,
Filipe