Fedora Atomic and Docker Host Image [was Re: Docker Host Image: Requirements?]

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 6 18:51:39 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 10:58:04AM -0600, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> >I am half-minded to make the proposal that we drop cloud-init. We haven't
> >built up a big library of cloud-init examples for Fedora, and once
> ><https://github.com/cgwalters/min-metadata-service/issues/2> is implemented,
> >we can focus on doing so as simple shell scripts. Most cloud-init examples
> >I've seen using the cloud-config syntax end up not being very cross-platform
> >anyway.
> How would this go over for people coming from $other_images that
> have cloud-init and expect to use it? If I understand correctly,
> you're saying their existing stuff isn't going to work well w/Fedora
> even if we have cloud-init, but I wonder if not having it is going
> to be seen as a negative?

That's why I'm only half-minded. But yes, I am saying that. The more I think
about it, having a tailored image with cloud-init might be the way to go --
then we can measure and see how much it is used in comparison.

Alternately, here's a crazy idea: the min-metadata service could detect if
userdata is in a syntax it doesn't understand and fire off a helper script.
That helper script could then install and exec cloud-init.