Fedora Atomic and Docker Host Image [was Re: Docker Host Image: Requirements?]

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 11 12:41:42 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 08:19:38AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> So we're already smaller than Ubuntu.  Size is one of the things we've
> been told is key to adoption in the cloud.  If we're already smaller,
> and Ubuntu is more widely adopted, I don't see that holding true.
> What am I missing, or is the "we need a smaller kernel package" thing
> somehow trying to pull the wool over my eyes?

Oh, it absolutely remains nice to have, and by "nice" I mean "awesome".

If we can improve all four of the big size consumers (python, kernel,
modularized docs, modularized i18n), it'll go from "on par" to actually
being an advantage. And even if we can't get to that for a while,
improvement is still improvement, and when I said size isn't the primary
driver, I certainly didn't mean to imply that it's not an important one.

Since isn't the only driver for the kernel work you're doing either, I don't
think. Another big advantage is that the modularized drivers will allow us
to skip out-of-schedule updates for security updates in the driver package.