Fedora Cloud Workgroup Meeting Minutes 01 May 2014

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 5 17:31:53 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-05-05 at 15:23 +0000, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Mike Ruckman <roshi at fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
>
> > * Crucial basic Docket Host Image decisions  (jzb, 08:07:23)
> >   * https://fedorahosted.org/cloud/ticket/47  (jzb, 08:07:36)
> >   * AGREED: fedora atomic docker-specific image will not include
> > yum/dnf
> >     (mattdm, 08:15:47)
>
> OK, but with rpm-ostree I'd like to highlight that it does already link
> to libhawkey and rpm, which are the same C libraries underlying dnf.
> This is important preparatory work for package layering.

 I'm not sure what you are saying here. This is about yum/dnf/etc. being
in the minimal install image for the Atomic host.
 Do you plan to ship rpm-ostree in that?
 I guess you are saying that you are planning on shipping more than just
ostree, so people can do the rpm packages diff thing? Or for other
features too?
 Are you sure this feature is worth bringing in the entire
libhawkey/librepo/libcomps/librpm chain?

 I guess at worst even if it's almost the same size, most of the users
will be happy if python isn't there.

> >   * AGREED: aim for getting python out of the fedora atomic image too,
> >     if all of the previous things line up.  (mattdm, 08:34:36)
>
> One issue I see here is that there are a lot of valid reasons to want
> Python on the host for configuration management type tasks, and the
> answer to this is to still support local package layering on top of a
> base tree.

 Not really. puppet is in ruby, cpanel is in perl. I'm not saying it's
sane, but users really hate python deps. ... so we'd probably want more
than "It's a sane language, and could be useful"