Cloud image use cases

Haïkel hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 10 13:59:44 UTC 2015

> OK.  So your answer to my immediate question is "neutral base that
> people have to customize".  Fair enough.  Now, why would someone wish
> to choose a Fedora cloud image over Ubuntu or CoreOS or any of the
> other "minimal base that you have to customize" images?

We should focus on reliability, availability and predictability, as we have
a short-term lifecycle.
=> we did a great work to fix the first point, kudos to Kushal, Mike and
David for that.

predictability is our weak point:
* not enough documentation
* disruptive changes unannounced (like the ps one recently)

Another weakness is that we don't provide a large panel of application
stacks (and versions)
unlike Ubuntu. We only provide *one* release of python2, python3, ruby,
java, php (though more
are available through third-party repo) etc.

That's where the Stack&Env WG work is important for us, as it could become
an asset against our other offers.

CoreOS is geared toward innovators and early adopters, our audience which
are
early adopters and early majority are still not ready to change to the
container-based
paradigm, as they're already struggling with scalability, automation etc...

> They've done that with kiwi for a long time.  They've had JeOS around
> for a long time.  Which is kind of my follow up point.  Why would
> someone choose Fedora cloud?  What makes it compelling?

We're more aggressive in pushing latest technologies compared to Suse and
we do it well. Moreover, we're a good lab to work on supporting the next EL
flavors.

A good mix between reliability/modernity

> Or, in other words, a minimal linux distro that you download and then
> have to spend time customizing :).

yes, and here, it's my own opinion, after curating this base, providing
tooling/documentation
to make customization easier is the key for our success.
My peers may disagree with me.

> That is somewhat confusing.  For the F22 release, I heard much more
> chatter and excitement around Atomic than I did Cloud images.  To the
> point where I thought the Atomic image _was_ the cloud image for a
> very long time.  Hence my follow up now.

That's understandable, and Atomic/Docker is clearly the exciting side from
the cloud lines.
We also don't spend enough efforts on marketing our cloud images, and most
of ambassadors are
not very cloud-aware.
I'd rather say that we're more or less starting to be a mature product
-though this is a constant effort-
, need to focus on polishing and marketing it.

H.