Fedora 22 is out, Fedora 23 is coming :)

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Thu Jun 4 18:14:59 UTC 2015

1. If it were me, I'd merge Server and Cloud products into one, called
Server, and distribute it as an install DVD
, a netinstall CD and images for the various cloud hosting providers.
Strip as much as you can out of it to get the image sizes down but
keep Anaconda, dnf and repository compatibility with Workstation.

2. The Docker base image is OK in size now - it's still bigger than
Debian 'jessie' but its close in size to the much more widely used
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and CentOS 7 images. The problem with the Fedora base
Docker image isn't size, it's that it isn't popular. Go look at the
download numbers on Docker Hub:

Ubuntu: 4397479
CentOS: 727768
Debian: 426676
Fedora: 106409

We got there late and Ubuntu grabbed the market share. I'm using
Fedora in my Docker images mostly to maintain compatibility with
Workstation, but that costs me when someone asks, "Why aren't you
using Ubuntu like everyone else? I can't just fork your project - I
have to port it!" In all likelihood I'll be forced to port the images
to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS if I want people to use them. :-(

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 10:34 AM, Matt Micene <nzwulfin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> But in order to be really useful unless they're all-in on Fedora, many
>> people will want the python version for their
>> infrastructure/environment, not whichever python we happen to ship in a
>> given release.
>

> That's always been the case and why software collections came about.
> Rewriting system tools to make it easier for someone who might like to use a
> different version of python at /usr/bin sounds like overkill.  A lot EC2
> AMIs, public and private, are 8GB+ snapshots with 2GB+ of OS installed.
>
> I may be "broken record"ing but I'm still seeing context switches between
> the cloud "flavors" (atomic, docker base, cloud-ified server).  We need to
> be careful were making the right changes to the right "flavor".  Ripping
> everything out of Docker Base makes sense, not so much for Cloud Server.  A
> common baseline across the board that says "Cloud Server is Base + Server
> and Docker Base is Base + Stripped System Utils" may not be worth the effort
> to maintain.
>

> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 01:00:34PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> > But cloud isn't minimal.  It's Cloud.  It needs to be useful for
>> > Cloud-y things.  Like management via Ansible, etc.  If you're going
>> > for minimal, you guys might as well become the Base image which
>> > doesn't exist today.
>>
>> But in order to be really useful unless they're all-in on Fedora, many
>> people will want the python version for their
>> infrastructure/environment, not whichever python we happen to ship in a
>> given release.
>>
>> --
>> Matthew Miller
>> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
>> Fedora Project Leader

OSJourno: Robust Power Tools for Digital Journalists
http://www.znmeb.mobi/stories/osjourno-robust-power-tools-for-digital-journalists

Remember, if you're traveling to Bactria, Hump Day is Tuesday and Thursday.