Becoming comaintainer for Fedora-Dockerfiles

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 1 15:21:17 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 10:00:43AM -0500, Scott Collier wrote:
> >My opinion is that the dist-git-for-dockerfiles plan should make Fedora
> >Dockerfiles obsolete.
> How would users who aren't necessarily involved in the Fedora build
> process experiment building images with a Fedora base?  Right now

Hopefully this new dist-git can be fronted by pagure, so it'd be a
matter of visiting a web site like https://pagure.io/fedora-bootstrap
(not a docker example, just a random one) and either downloading the
docker file or doing a git clone.

> there's a rpm created from fedora-dockerfiles that includes all the
> Dockerfiles and makes it easy to experiment by placing all the
> Dockerfiles in /usr/share/fedora-dockerfiles.  If we keep them both,
> it's somewhat duplicate work.  I'm just curious how it would look.
> Right now the barrier to entry for experimentation is low. I'm
> concerned about raising that.

Yeah, that's a good concern. We could also perhaps automate pulling all
the dockerfiles from the dist-git into fedora-dockerfiles and keep
that, for people who want to work with it that way.

> Also, the plan was for Vasek to submit Nulecule PRs to
> Fedora-dockerfiles, at some point, so people could experiment with
> them as well.  I'd also like to see k8s example json / yaml files
> associated with select fedora-dockerfiles for easy experimentation.
> Would the nulecule / k8s get pushed into the dist-git as well?

Maybe? Would it make sense for these to go together with the
dockerfiles they're associated with in a git repo at that level, or
would they be stand-alone and reference other repos? (Do you have some
concrete examples?)

Another approach to all this would be to keep all the dockerfiles in
one place -- it just means that everyone who has any commit access to
anything gets commit access to everything, which we might not want as
we scale.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>