Becoming comaintainer for Fedora-Dockerfiles

Bohuslav Kabrda slavek at redhat.com
Fri Oct 2 09:01:51 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 10:00:43AM -0500, Scott Collier wrote:
> > >My opinion is that the dist-git-for-dockerfiles plan should make Fedora
> > >Dockerfiles obsolete.
> > How would users who aren't necessarily involved in the Fedora build
> > process experiment building images with a Fedora base?  Right now
>
> Hopefully this new dist-git can be fronted by pagure, so it'd be a
> matter of visiting a web site like https://pagure.io/fedora-bootstrap
> (not a docker example, just a random one) and either downloading the
> docker file or doing a git clone.

Heh, it seems that my career as Fedora-Dockerfiles comaintainer may be rather short :)
I think having a web frontend with pull requests for the new dist-git is an awesome idea. I'm +0.9 for pagure. The advantage is that it will be completely under Fedora control, the small downside is that potential contributors from outside Fedora will have to create Fedora account, which might scare some people off.

> > there's a rpm created from fedora-dockerfiles that includes all the
> > Dockerfiles and makes it easy to experiment by placing all the
> > Dockerfiles in /usr/share/fedora-dockerfiles.  If we keep them both,
> > it's somewhat duplicate work.  I'm just curious how it would look.
> > Right now the barrier to entry for experimentation is low. I'm
> > concerned about raising that.
>
> Yeah, that's a good concern. We could also perhaps automate pulling all
> the dockerfiles from the dist-git into fedora-dockerfiles and keep
> that, for people who want to work with it that way.

So IIUC, the standard way to get dockerfiles from dist-git would be "fedpkg clone mariadb-docker" or similar. Perhaps we could provide a wrapper that anyone, even without Fedora account, like "fedora-get-dockerfile --list" or "fedora-get-dockerfile mariadb" (this would invoke "fedpkg clone --anonymous mariadb-docker").

> > Also, the plan was for Vasek to submit Nulecule PRs to
> > Fedora-dockerfiles, at some point, so people could experiment with
> > them as well.  I'd also like to see k8s example json / yaml files
> > associated with select fedora-dockerfiles for easy experimentation.
> > Would the nulecule / k8s get pushed into the dist-git as well?
>
> Maybe? Would it make sense for these to go together with the
> dockerfiles they're associated with in a git repo at that level, or
> would they be stand-alone and reference other repos? (Do you have some
> concrete examples?)

So I think that kubernetes/Nulecule examples should be standalone, since most often they'll reference multiple images. What I mean is that they would be a good fit for the current fedora-dockerfiles repo, but if we split the repo into multiple dist-git repos, they won't fit in any one of these.

> Another approach to all this would be to keep all the dockerfiles in
> one place -- it just means that everyone who has any commit access to
> anything gets commit access to everything, which we might not want as
> we scale.

Yeah, scaling is a valid point. I think splitting into multiple repos is a good way to go assuming we address the concerns that Scott has raised.

--
Regards,
Slavek Kabrda