[fab] Fedora Project and Hosting

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Oct 20 14:12:48 UTC 2006

On Friday 20 October 2006 10:02, Mike McGrath wrote:
> So people have been asking more and more for general VCS space,
> sometimes SVN, GIT, CVS.  My question for the board:  Is the Fedora
> Project a place to host this stuff or should we just point them to
> freshmeat and sourceforge?  Here's an example thats comes up:
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/tickets/index.pl?Action=AgentTicketZoom&Tic
>ketID=102
>
> and another
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/tickets/customer.pl?Action=CustomerTicketZo
>om&TicketID=94
>
> At present there is no formal policy (that I am aware of).

So some will say use 108, but others will say that 108 doesn't support the SCM
of their choice.  There are some projects, things that are written
specifically for Fedora and Fedora based distributions (like RHEL) that may
want to develop out in the public space, with the SCM of their choice.
Sending those people to sourceforge is not a very good solution, as I
wouldn't wish sourceforge on anybody's project.  I suppose if we want the
Fedora project to foster software development, and become that 'open source
lab' that I keep hearing about, we probably should try to provide some
infrastructure for these projects.  However it is a pretty big undertaking to
try and provide something complete, repo, mailing list, webspace, bug
tracking system, etc..  in such a way that we can easily add and segregate
projects.

Tough question :/

--
Jesse Keating