thinking about the Fedora brand (WARNING: this is for you)

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Sat Aug 4 11:40:22 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:
> I watched the slideshow.
> Seems to be our brand is being defined for us by others - which is a way
> of saying we're not saying enough about what fedora is.

I interpreted it more literally: It's not us defining our brand, it's
them; no matter how we advertise it the brand will always be defined by
the audience, not us. Our product and principles builds our brand;

If the audience is thinking we adopt buggy brand new software and
technology, the gut feeling will be that Fedora is buggy -or at least
that's what I assume leaves the biggest impression. Some people though
think it's cool as it's way more of an engineering distribution if
something fails every now and then, rather then *just work*.

Though if the audience sees we adopt brand new software and technology
without exposing them to whatever child diseases brand new software and
technology usually has, they may slowly but surely start thinking we are
innovative instead of buggy.

As the presentation also suggests, it's anyone's gut feeling that makes
up the brand, not us. We can't tell anyone what kind of gut feeling they
should have when I sneak up behind them and whisper "Fedora" in their
ear. It's them. How do we change that?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip