Corporate Sponsorship RFC

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 23:41:23 UTC 2007

I'd like to find some additional sponsors for some of the projects we
are working on in Infrastructure and I feel Fedora is at the point where
a sponsorship framework is warranted.  This policy would be used by the
Infrastructure team to negotiate with potential sponsors.  I want to
offer a couple of options to be worked out between Fedora and the
Sponsor and each offering should be simple and straight forward.  Below
is a list of some options I'd like to formalize on the wiki.  Please
comment or provide additional ideas.

1) A sponsorship page.  Those who offer bandwidth, hosting or machines
get to place an icon on a page on the wiki.

2) Localized sponsorship.  Right now at the bottom of the wiki you'll
notice a "powered by dell" logo.  We could fairly easily devise a way to
add icons to various parts of our website.  For example, if a user
happens to hit the website in a japanese colo, they would see a
"services provided by" next to the dell logo.  There's a few ways to get
fancy with this but still make it compelling to contribute resources for
potential sponsors.  This is very analogous to the way our mirrors work
now:
http://fedora.mirror.facebook.com/linux/releases/7/Everything/i386/os/
(for example)

3) White paper.  This one is my favorite.  Lets say we'd like to roll
out some global build infrastructure.  We could offer to put the powered
by on the build website but then also have one of the project managers
write a white paper, in great detail "This is how Bit Company A helped
us build a complete global build system".  It basically gives a complete
technology overview on how cool Fedora is and how easy it was to do it
on "This server from this company." You get the idea.  Obviously this
would be for larger projects.

Additionally I'm working on what we can take, who to contact and how to
manage all of that.

Comments?

    -Mike