Fedora Board Recap 2007-AUG-21

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Fri Aug 24 20:27:06 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Karsten Wade wrote:
>> On Sat, 2007-08-25 at 01:16 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> Max was supposed to discuss with legal on codec buddy. Did that happen?
>>
>> What was reported in the minutes ... is what was reported.  I'm sure if
>> there is something to discuss, we'll hear about it.
>
> Lack of communication in this is causing us to lose this feature for the
> second release after it has originally been planned. In the last board
> meeting, the plan was to get legal involved. We are hitting feature
> freeze within a week. My mails offlist have went unanswered. I would
> appreciate an update. Thanks.

Feature Freeze is mostly concerned with the engineering in packages in
Fedora.  From what I understand, the engineering work is essentially
done.  Totem supports fetching missing plugins, and CodecBuddy is built
into rawhide already under the name codeina.

Once we are satisfied that everything is clear legally (I don't know
status on this), we can just make the needed adjustments on the website.
  We can do this after feature freeze.  Sadly, we won't get as much
testing on it if the legal bits aren't cleared up soon.  But
fortunately, this either works or it doesn't.

I do not believe this feature is in jeopardy of being dropped due to the
impending freeze, however.  If I'm mistaken and the legal/website work
also must be also done by Feature Freeze, then I believe exceptions can
be requested, and if I had to vote, I would vote for an exception here.