FEL image - ( was Respin (revisited) )

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Mon Aug 27 11:43:10 UTC 2007

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 11:45:51AM +0200, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> On 8/24/07, Mike McGrath wrote:
>
> > > Isn't the electronics lab spin concept hostable under this definition?
> > > And if so, isn't it just scratching the surface in terms of niche
> > > productivity spins?
> > >

> > Thats true. So lets use the electronics lab as a concept spin.  Answer
> > the questions from the first mail about it:
>
> Hello there,
>
> Well, what I have planned about the electronic lab spin is:
>  * it will be released when FX is released (just like the fedora kde
> spin is released)
>  * it entails no other rpms from other repositories but that of fedora's only.
>  * it would have NO other updated spin each month. Updates of
> individual packages will be available on fedora-updates only.
>
> > Scenario 1) Using only software available on our mirrors, someone has
> > created a respin and wants us to host it.
>
> This scenario could be appropriate. But I would like FEL to get the
> same status like Fedora KDE spin. That is, FEL live image will be
> released when FX is released.
>
> I would like to know whether fedora project will host the FEL or not
> under such conditions ?

It sounds like we could, but do you have a feel for the size of the
audience?  One thing I want to be careful of is adding too many Fedora
derivatives for extremely niche audiences to the master servers.  It
already is difficult to get all the bits out to the internal master
mirror servers, much less all the other mirrors, in the few days
between when Jesse's done cutting trees and ISOs, and when we want to
go public with them.  The more space we devote to such custom spins,
the longer it takes, even with tiered mirroring, to get the bits that
most people want out to the them public mirrors.

So, I'm not saying Fedora's infrastructure can't handle hosting any
more derivatives, I just want to be careful about saying "sure" to
each without understanding the likely number of people downloading it,
if such can be guesstimated.

Thanks,
Matt
Fedora Mirror Wrangler