Live Fedora start page proposal

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Tue Aug 28 15:12:35 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 9:53:05 am Donald Fischer wrote:
> On 8/28/07, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > > Here's why I think this simple change makes sense:
> > >
> > >  * More useful to users.  The vast majority of the time when Fedora
> > > users are launching a new browser, they're looking to do something on
> > > the web, not to read the operating system release notes.  Thus, we've
> > > proposed to put search front-and-center.
> >
> > Isn't the search already on the search bar that defaults in firefox?
>
> There is also search there, yes.  This proposal doesn't consider
> modifying that in any way, but rather adding a search box to the start
> page that has the mentioned Fedora tweaks.
>
> > > To try this out, there's only one small change required in the
> > > distribution itself, which is to swap the default URL in the browser
> > > configuration to http://start.fedoraproject.org.  This switch is a
> > > time-sensitive issue with respect to Test2, since we'd like to field
> > > this in at least one and ideally two test releases before deciding to
> > > release it in a final Fedora version.
> >
> > I'm not trying to be snide but is there a reason you waited until the
> > eleventh-hour before test2 went out to ask about this?
>
> No ulterior motive here; getting our ducks in a row and the prototype
> page set up took longer than we anticipated but I wanted to push to
> make the deadline to try it in Test2 rather than delaying to Test3.
also your links to fedora are wrong  they should be fedoraproject.org  not
fedora.redhat.com   minor detail  but fedora.redhat.com is dead.

> > >  * Red Hat will supply the server infrastructure and bandwidth
> > > required for this project.
> >
> > Red Hat will? or will fedora's infrastructure provide it? Who will
> > control it? What, if any, software is required server-side to facilitate
> > this?
>
> Red Hat will pay for the incremental server and bandwidth so that it's
> not an additional cost burden competing with existing Fedora project
> expenses.  Open to discussing the governance model the server itself,
> presumably we could handle it like other Fedora infrastructure
> services.  At present it's just a static web page and a few images; in
> the future we anticipate also having a hosted results page that would
> be a simple JSP.

Any Fedora Infrastructure type thing (which this is)  has a few rules.  It
needs to be completely open.  i.e  somebody else needs to be able to deploy
it themselves using whats provided in Fedora.  (* We allow exceptions at
times for things in review)   all components need to be free and open source.
We Just got the whole OS on a free and open platform.  We can not change this
now.   So your JSP stuff had better work with gcj.    the servers need to be
under the control of fedora Infrastructure.  This would be a critical thing
that needs to be open.

Have i mentioned that this needs to be completely open and transparent.

Dennis