Live Fedora start page proposal

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 12:58:29 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 11:00 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 10:53 -0400, Donald Fischer wrote:
>
> > No ulterior motive here; getting our ducks in a row and the prototype
> > page set up took longer than we anticipated but I wanted to push to
> > make the deadline to try it in Test2 rather than delaying to Test3.
>
> I wasn't suggesting an ulterior motive. I was more suggesting that last
> minute changes like this have gotten us a lot of bad flack before. You
> may not remember the 'tracking image' fiasco but it was not much fun.
>

> > Not done yet, but there is minimal text to be translated on the start
> > page itself and the third party search services that we'd build on are
> > widely internationalized.  We'd use the regular Fedora documentation
> > i18n workflow for the necessary translations, I suppose.
>
> okay - not sure how this fits in with the translation freeze, though.

Docs normally have a different freeze schedule due to release notes
requiring attention close to the final release.  My main concern is
getting this finalized in a form that can actually be processed through
our existing toolchain.  We've done it for the existing homepage but
that document has no HTML form content.  We normally start with DocBook
XML and the rest is done with CSS styles.  I'm sure there's a way to do
it, even if it's as hacky as spraying some HTML into the middle of the
file after rendering.