Live Fedora start page proposal

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Tue Aug 28 19:14:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, seth vidal wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 10:53 -0400, Donald Fischer wrote:
>
>> No ulterior motive here; getting our ducks in a row and the prototype
>> page set up took longer than we anticipated but I wanted to push to
>> make the deadline to try it in Test2 rather than delaying to Test3.
>
> I wasn't suggesting an ulterior motive. I was more suggesting that
> last minute changes like this have gotten us a lot of bad flack
> before. You may not remember the 'tracking image' fiasco but it was
> not much fun.

To be fair, the last two times something related to Firefox's homepage
and the Fedora Distro came up, it was close to Release Candidate time
and not Feature Freeze time.  The conversation is happening far earlier
in the cycle this time.

There's also a distinction to be made here between "a feature that has
to do with the actual distro" and "a feature related to the larger
Fedora Project"

The DISTRO specific part of this is: what happens when you click the
Firefox button, and the various tradeoffs between a local start page and
a network-required start page.  That is something that needs to be
determined quickly and allowed to be tested/debugged in the F8 cycle.

The FEDORA PROJECT part is "what is at http://start.fedoraproject.org"
and how do we make it (a) useful and (b) something that people go to.

That work can proceed in any sort of timeframe that we like.  It is in
no way tied to a particular release of the distribution.

It just so happens that we would like to come up with a way to use the
browser in the distribution to help further our ends at
start.fedoraproject.org

--Max