Was it a failure to not do Fedora 7 CD's

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Thu Jun 7 12:00:04 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> from looking at the F7-feedback I saw on the lists, in reviews, in blogs
> and in other places I more and more think it was a failure to not do a
> CD version of the "Fedora" spins.
>
> Seems people are quite unhappy; the two main reasons afaics are:
>
> * people did not realize yet to use the Live-CD for installs

It seems we so much forget that the LiveCD installation still needs RPM
files, not included on the media. There's plenty of Fedora users that do
not have as fast an internet connection like "we" do, or none at all.
See also the success of Fedora Unity Re-Spins in many countries with
such circumstances. This makes a point and IMHO it has been overlooked
(erhm, doh, it hasn't really been overlooked, but the consequences may
have been underestimated). All other reasons, such as limited space on
our mirrors, certainly make sense but a solution to that problem that
still included spreading Installation CDs like we "always" used to maybe
should have been found before abandoning the CD set at all.

One could argue however that with the latest tools, one can create CD
sets of their own, either from a downloaded F7 DVD repository or
directly from the net. However, these tools only run with F7 so one
needs a LiveCD and a DVD ISO, then use the tools and create the CD set.

Just my € 0.02

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip