governance, fesco, board, etc.

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Jun 8 17:57:18 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 01:25:11PM -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
> I propose a Fedora Engineering Steering Committee, that "reports" to the
> Fedora Board and that "oversees" the following sub-groups
>
> (1) Features, led by John Poelstra.
> (2) The Theory of Packaging.
> (3) The Practice of Packaging.
> (4) Release Engineering,
> (5) QA and release ready-ness,

[...]

> Things like the release schedule can work as follows:
>
> The Fedora Board has said "we'd like to get as close to a Halloween/May
> Day release cycle as possible."
>
> The Features and Release Engineering teams can discuss a potential
> schedule that comes close to that, and present it to the Board for an
> ack.  As changes are needed to that schedule, they too can be presented
> to the Board for an ack.

Doesn't that short-cirquit fesco out of the loop? E.g. if fesco is
supposed to be overseeing those two teams it sounds like

a) board decides on Halloween/May Day ETA
b) fesco interacts with feature/releng teams and lays out a plan to
   fulfill the board's input.
c) fesco presents to the board the results, e.g. whether this is
   possible and what the constraining parameters will be (which
   features will make it etc)

If this is considered too much hierarchical procedure then these two
teams need to be attached to the board directly.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net