governance, fesco, board, etc.

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jun 13 04:29:02 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 22:42 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 04:59:51AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > 7. The server layout (Everything/Fedora). At least I fail to understand
> > why there can't be one single repo, containing "all of Fedora" with a
> > subset of the packages therein packaged as iso's.
>
> That's exactly what the Everything tree is.  It's a single repo,
> containing every RPM in the release.  It's this tree that yum pulls
> from.
It doesn't contain DVD/CD-iso's. They are (Were? ATM, I can't find them
anymore ?!?) under Fedora/iso.

> The specific "Fedora" and "Live" spins, proper subsets of
> "Everything", have their own directories with ISOs, and the "Fedora"
> directory also happens to have the tree of "Fedora spin" content
> exploded so you can see what's included, but that tree is hardlinked
> to the "Everything" tree, so there's no package duplication on-disk.
OK, but "hardlinking" will only help those who fully mirror, but this is
quite confusing and misleading to ordinary users who manually/partially
mirror.

I would bet many folks fell into the trap and were mistaken to download
"Fedora/" until they noticed they actually want "Everything". In worst
case they ended up with having downloaded Fedora 3 times (1. iso, 2.
Fedora, 3. Everything).

At least I would have expected a fully expanded Fedora/os tree
accompanied with a Fedora/iso directory containing isos filled with a
subset of the packages from the fully expanded Fedora/os tree.

> > It renders "cvs commit; make tag build" non-functional, but requires you
> > to additionally launch a browser and wade through various web-pages.
> >
> > Can we please have a "make release"?
>
> It's in the works I've heard several times.  Patches would be gladly
> reviewed...
<sigh/> Providing patches is only possible for those who understand the
new workflow and to those who are intimate with the koji-client - I.e.
not me.

Ralf