governance, fesco, board, etc.

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 02:56:27 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 11:36 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 17:38 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >  if Red Hat sees individual Fedora contributors
> > making a good difference it probably will want to hire them. That
> > doesn't suddenly make them a non community member.
>
> "Prepare the Borg making equipment!"
>
> A person is like a software package.  Adding the package to Fedora
> doesn't take away the upstream.  Adding a community member to Red Hat
> doesn't assimilate them into a group consciousness that strips them of
> free-will making their every word now suspect.

Catching up to email, forgive the lateness of the reply.

Thank you for pointing this out, Karsten.  And you know what?  It cuts
the other way too -- being @RH to start with doesn't make people
soulless automatons either.  I can tell you, as a non- at RH person, that
there are PLENTY of times where the most vehement and cantankerous
disagreements have often happened in Board meetings between two @RH
persons.  (Not any two in particular.) :-)

The idea that somehow Red Hat people are constantly pulling us toward
the reefs, and that only the efforts of the noble community will save
this project, has become quite tiresome.  For instance, I know for a
fact that certain Red Hat board members take it on the chin quite
regularly promoting community initiatives (and to internal Red Hat
people.  They're doing the work every day making sure the community
project is driven by the community to the fulles possible extent.  (That
may be why we don't see them spending substantial quantities of time
posting on lists, but they're certainly not shut behind locked doors,
either.)

Let's remember that the whole reason we're all doing this work is the
same goals, the ones that show up on the front webpages.  Part of
teamwork is not downing your teammates who happen to wear ties instead
of tennis shoes.  (Admittedly, this is a tough metaphor given the lack
of dress code, but my drift should be clear.)