please review mockup (was Re: website mockups, what is fedora?)

mairin at linuxgrrl.com mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Sun Aug 23 21:22:07 UTC 2009

> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 2:46 PM, <mairin at linuxgrrl.com> wrote:
> So the changes I see in this mockup -- which, by the way, looks great --
> are:
>
> * Removes the "internet connection" requirement

Yeh, it was pointed out it was a silly and potentially confusing bullet
point there because you only need the connection to download the ISO, once
you have the ISO you don't need a connection.

> * Moves the "other options" block up in the secondary information block
> * Removes the explanatory "what do I do with this?" block in the
> secondary information block
> * No more panda (awww.)

Ah, this is a good idea, I should have written up a changelog for it.
There's a few more changes, you can watch it starting at
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/woot/page2.png then jump to
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/woot/getfpo-2.png up to
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/woot/getfpo-16.png hehe

* the other options link directly under the download button + details
about the download have been sized up (from about 7 pt to 12pt)
* the entire 'what is live media?' block has been nuked
* the how-to-upgrade block was rewritten and shortened to compete less
with the other options block
* the other options includes direct links to subpages, not just one main
other options link, requiring less clicks for users who know which subpage
to go to
* an export regulations block has been added
* I added an upgrade instructions resource to the resources area in the
right sidebar - this is because some of the upgrade text was slimmed down
and I wanted to make it more clear for people upgrading what to do (it'd
point to the same thing as the 'more info' underneath the upgrade block
does

I am a little concerned about folks who might want to learn more about how
to use live media before they download the iso. Maybe a link to more info
about live media and how it works could go in the main paragraph at the
top?

> Something that might help keep the "Other options" area from
> overwhelming the download button area would be to relocate the panda.
> I think removing the "confused panda" is a good idea because it sends
> a subtle signal that there's just too much going on in the page, and
> maybe the user *should* be confused.  I could see putting a confident,
> happy panda next to the download button with a sort of Vanna White
> pose, so a user who's not looking for other options won't feel like
> they're making a mistake by taking the obvious choice. (I'm recalling
> Barry Schwarz's TED Talk on the paradox of choice here.)

I'm wondering if the Vanna White panda (ooh can I give it a dress?)
pointing out the other options block would help draw attention to it since
folks still seem to think it still is too de-emphasized...

~m