please review mockup (was Re: website mockups, what is fedora?)

Paul Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 23:28:43 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 5:22 PM, <mairin at linuxgrrl.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 2:46 PM, <mairin at linuxgrrl.com> wrote:
>> So the changes I see in this mockup -- which, by the way, looks great --
>> are:
>>
>> * Removes the "internet connection" requirement
>
> Yeh, it was pointed out it was a silly and potentially confusing bullet
> point there because you only need the connection to download the ISO, once
> you have the ISO you don't need a connection.
>
>> * Moves the "other options" block up in the secondary information block
>> * Removes the explanatory "what do I do with this?" block in the
>> secondary information block
>> * No more panda (awww.)
>
> Ah, this is a good idea, I should have written up a changelog for it.
> There's a few more changes, you can watch it starting at
> http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/woot/page2.png then jump to
> http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/woot/getfpo-2.png up to
> http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/woot/getfpo-16.png hehe
>
> * the other options link directly under the download button + details
> about the download have been sized up (from about 7 pt to 12pt)
> * the entire 'what is live media?' block has been nuked
> * the how-to-upgrade block was rewritten and shortened to compete less
> with the other options block
> * the other options includes direct links to subpages, not just one main
> other options link, requiring less clicks for users who know which subpage
> to go to
> * an export regulations block has been added
> * I added an upgrade instructions resource to the resources area in the
> right sidebar - this is because some of the upgrade text was slimmed down
> and I wanted to make it more clear for people upgrading what to do (it'd
> point to the same thing as the 'more info' underneath the upgrade block
> does

You might actually want to remove the "Installation Guide" link --
because it doesn't work as well against Live media as the
"Installation QSG" which is precisely designed for Live media (i.e.
the fastest way to get and install Fedora).

> I am a little concerned about folks who might want to learn more about how
> to use live media before they download the iso. Maybe a link to more info
> about live media and how it works could go in the main paragraph at the
> top?

Like a "How does this work?" link.  That could work well.

>> Something that might help keep the "Other options" area from
>> overwhelming the download button area would be to relocate the panda.
>> I think removing the "confused panda" is a good idea because it sends
>> a subtle signal that there's just too much going on in the page, and
>> maybe the user *should* be confused.  I could see putting a confident,
>> happy panda next to the download button with a sort of Vanna White
>> pose, so a user who's not looking for other options won't feel like
>> they're making a mistake by taking the obvious choice. (I'm recalling
>> Barry Schwarz's TED Talk on the paradox of choice here.)
>
> I'm wondering if the Vanna White panda (ooh can I give it a dress?)
> pointing out the other options block would help draw attention to it since
> folks still seem to think it still is too de-emphasized...

I think that would tend to undermine the non-confusing aspect for the
primary audience for the page, i.e. people who are looking for the
easiest and fastest way to get Fedora.  The option block is already
prominently highlighted with a grey box, and I don't think we're doing
the page design any favors by diluting the way it serves that primary
audience.

Paul