ambassadors "conflict of interest"

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 18:43:30 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:06 AM, Gianluca Sforna <giallu at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
> > Are Fedora ambassadors allowed to also be <put your alternate distro
> > name here> ambassadors?
> >

> I don't think it should be a problem. I know where I live.. there are
> few Linux people and each one runs something different. The people who
> are effective in communicating Linux in general usually have to show
> why choice is available and that people need to find what is best for
> them. This means they are usually wearing 2-3 hats of "Gentoo",
> "Debian", "Ubuntu", "Slackware" and "Fedora" to get enough other
> people to show up at an event to show that this is not a crazy flash
> in the pan (and yes there are still a lot of people who think Linux
> will go away any time soon.)
>
> In this case the ambassador is working on getting 'peace' between
> various factions for a larger win.

I agree with Stephen -- especially since a lot of Free/Open Source Software
advocates and evangelists tend to work toward their goal of promoting FOSS
in "ambassador" programs (and in whatever capacity for those distros without
programs), with the sole purpose of promote Linux and FOSS over a particular
distro or program.

I know several people who "wear more than one hat" (no pun intended) and I'm
OK with it because it contributes to, as Stephen puts it, "a larger win."
For that reason, the fact that people work across distro lines is not much
of an issue as far as I am concerned.

Larry Cafiero