Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

Greg DeKoenigsberg greg.dekoenigsberg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 11:48:14 UTC 2010

I think Christoph's points are very valid.

Making the decision to focus on one product means, in practice, focusing
almost all (scarce) resources around that product.  All release engineering,
all marketing, all QA, all documentation, all "eyeballs", everything.

Focus is good.  It's important.  Scarce resources == hard choices.

Trouble is, I think we've painted ourselves into a bit of a corner, in which
we have various service SIGs that purport to serve "all of Fedora", but in
practice end up serving one product: the Chosen Desktop.

I'd love to see a bit more balance.  KDE, XfCE, LXDE, Sugar, Meego -- all of
them are heavy burdens carried by a stout few, and I'm concerned that we
don't seem to care much about building capacity for these projects.

To be clear: much of this responsibility should fall on the advocates for
these spins.  "Hey Meego, want more marketing?  Recruit some folks to the
marketing team who care about Meego to help carry the load."

The QA team seems to have done a good job of meeting spins folks halfway.
Are there any lessons there to be learned?

--g